Iceland is a country known for its natural wonders: glaciers, active volcanoes, black-sand beaches, geothermal areas, roaring rivers, majestic waterfalls, and beautiful lakes. On this Iceland escorted tour, you will start and end in Reykjavík, and you’ll witness these natural wonders while enjoying exciting and unique experiences.
Scenic highlights include the mighty Gullfoss waterfall and Goðafoss – known as the “Waterfall of the Gods.” Take pictures at Dettifoss, the most powerful waterfall in Europe (road conditions permitting). Drive by Eyjafjallajökull volcano, well known for the eruption that generated the massive ash cloud in 2010, and through the national park at Skaftafell to the Rangarping Eystra area. Enjoy a scenic drive to the lovely blue Lake Mývatn. In one of Iceland’s most beautiful areas and with volcanic craters throughout the lake, it is teeming with bird life and is known for its geothermal activity. Also watch how Europe’s largest glacier, Vatnajökull, flows into Lake Jökulsárlón, forming icebergs.
In Thingvellir – a UNESCO World Heritage Site – walk through the rift valley that marks the separation between the North American and European tectonic plates. In Geysir, walk with the chef of the Geysir restaurant through the geothermal areas, where you’ll taste freshly baked bread cooked using the heat from the hot springs. You may wish to pair it with a traditional glass of geysir schnapps. Another unique and unforgettable experience on your tour is a boat cruise to see whales in their natural habitat or, based upon the season, witnessing the Northern Lights.
Welcome to Reykjavik! At 6 pm, meet your Tour Director and traveling companions for a welcome dinner at your hotel.
After an orientation drive of pretty Reykjavik, enjoy an interesting visit to the geothermal heat and electric POWER STATION in Hellisheiðarvirkjun. Next, see the hot springs at the Geysir geothermal area and look forward to meeting the chef of the Geysir restaurant. Taste freshly baked bread, which is cooked using the heat from the hot springs, with Icelandic butter, boiled eggs and herring, and a glass of Geysir schnapps, served at freezing point. Then, marvel at the mighty Gullfoss waterfall and stop in Thingvellir, a geological paradise.
Here, you will walk through the rift valley that marks the separation between the North American and European tectonic plates.
A real treat! At Hauganes, embark for an unforgettable experience: watch whales in their natural habitat! Continue to Akureyri for your overnight stay.
During your orientation of the capital of northern Iceland, hear about the city’s history after it was established as a trading center in 1602. Visit the BOTANICAL GARDEN, featuring specimens of almost all native Icelandic plants. Then, admire Goðafoss, known as the “Waterfall of the Gods.” Enjoy a scenic drive to the lovely blue Lake Mývatn, teeming with bird life in one of Iceland’s prettiest areas, and known for geothermal activity and producing colored deposits. Before arriving in Borgarfjörður Eystri, take pictures of the most powerful waterfall in Europe, Dettifoss (road conditions permitting). You may even see puffins, known as the “clown of the sea” (end April mid-August).
In the morning, enjoy a “Meet the Locals” walking tour and hear about life in the rural Icelandic countryside over the centuries. Follow the eastern coast, where the first Irish missionaries settled some 200 years ago, and arrive in Höfn.
Prepare for the highlight of the day: stop at Lake Jökulsárlón, where some of the most spectacular scenes of the James Bond movie Die Another Day were filmed. Watch how the largest glacier in Europe, Vatnajökull, flows into the lake, forming icebergs. An exciting optional boat trip is available through the icebergs. Drive through the national park at Skaftafell. On your way to the overnight hotel, see the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, well known for the eruption that generated the massive ash cloud in 2010.
Return to Reykjavik. This afternoon, join an optional excursion to the Blue Lagoon. Tonight, a special farewell dinner awaits you at one of Reykjavik’s fine restaurants to celebrate the success of your Icelandic Adventure.
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
- REYKJAVIK – Welcome dinner; orientation; farewell dinner at a local restaurant
- HELLISHEIðArVIRKJUN – Visit the geothermal heat and electric power station
- GEYSIR – Admire the hot springs; taste local specialties and drink a glass of schnapps
- GULLFOSS – Marvel at the waterfall
- THINGVELLIR – Walk through the rift valley that marks the separation between the North American and theEuropean tectonic plates
- HAUGANES – Boat cruise, see whales in their natural habitat
- AKUREYRI – Orientation, visit the Botanical Garden
- GOÐAFOSS – See the “Waterfall of the Gods”
- LAKE MÝVATN – Marvel at this beautiful lake
- DETTIFOSS – Admire the most powerful waterfall in Europe
- BORGARFJÖRÐUR EYSTRI – Walking tour
- LAKE JÖKULSÁRLÓN – See the setting of James Bond’s Die another Day and see the largest glacier in Europe
- SKAFTAFELL – Drive through the national park
- Tour prices based on per person, twin shared room.
- Travel insurance is available at an additional cost and is highly recommended.
- Slight changes to the day-by-day itinerary cannot be excluded.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
- Hotels outside of Reykjavik may not always be of the standard usually expected.
- Certain features are subject to nature’s law.